|Have you ever wondered why Google, Facebook or Wikipedia perform so fast while other sites with lesser traffic struggle?|
The difference is MySQL databases!
What Is MySQL?
MySQL is a full feature DMS (data management system) and is the backbone of most user intensive projects such as phpBB, WordPress or Drupal.
Being a relational database management system (RDBMS), it runs as a server and facilitates its multi-users to access a number of databases. MySQL was originally developed by Michalel Widenius and named after his daughter 'My'.
MySQL offers cross compatibility with almost all the system platforms such as BSDi, AIX, Mac OS X, NetBSD, OpenSolaris, eComStation, Microsoft Windows, SunOS, Symbian, Solaris et al. MySQL codes use C and C++.
MySQL began as an inexpensive alternative to database management and has evolved into a DMS with higher capabilities.
MySql has many advantages in comparison to Oracle or other commonly used DMS such as:
- MySql is an Open source database management system and therefore available at any time
- There is no cost of development purpose with MySQL
- MySql keeps getting updated daily therefore is scalable and up to date
- MySQL is good for any size of applications
- One can easily learn and master MySQL
As in the world of technology, there are always some shortcomings, even in the most powerful resources. Likewise, MySQL is no exception. The following are its disadvantages:
- MySQL struggles with very large database size and therefore multiple deployments are to be made to get the higher performance it is known for. Once done, MySQL pulls it off comfortably
- MySQL's versions less than 5.0 don't support COMMIT, ROLE and Stored procedures
- MySQL struggles a little with transactions
Is MySQL the Right Choice?
MySQL is an Open Source DMS and therefore doesn't cost anything. Besides the cost advantage, the platform comes with a comprehensive range of certified software, training, support and a huge presence of active forums that can help you get over basic issues, by sheer reading. It is the right choice for people looking for scalability, performance and consistency. Moreover, it is the preferred platform for companies such as yahoo, YouTube, Nokia and many others and therefore is a tried and tested database management system.